Our Blog

Looking to Study in Canada?

You’ve applied and got accepted to a study program equivalent to at least six months in length of full-time study. Now what?

1. Attend a designated learning institute
You must intend to study at a designated learning institute. Citizenship and Immigration Canada rules on which institution you can and cannot attend. Note that this only applies to post-secondary education. All primary and secondary institutions in Canada are automatically designated.

2. Pay your way and be healthy
You must show sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, living expenses while you are in Canada, and travel expenses to and from Canada. Also, if you are from a certain country or have lived in a particular one for six months or more, you might need a medical exam.

3. Work on and off campus
Once you are here, you can work off campus without a work permit for 20 hours per week during school, and full-time during school breaks. Note that if you are here to study French or English, you need a work permit to work off-campus.

You can also enroll in a co-op or internship program, if they are an essential part of your program. However, you will need a co-op work permit to participate. Again here, the co-op and internships programs are not offered to students who are here to study English or French.

4. Study, study, study!
Thought you might be able to escape that one? Citizenship and Immigration Canada will monitor whether or not you remain enrolled in your school and make reasonable progress towards completing your study program. Dropping out or lingering in a program may result in your removal from Canada. Yikes!

For more information on the study permit, extending your study permit or work while/after you study, contact one of our lawyers today.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *