Our Blog

Canada is Caring for our Caregivers

On June 2019, Immigration, Refuges and Citizenship Canada opened two new pilot projects for caregivers who wish to become permanent residents.

The Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilot both offer a direct pathway to permanent residence and allow applicants to bring family members with them to Canada.

Under these two projects, candidates are eligible for an occupation-specific work permit if they have a valid job offer in Canada and meet standard criteria for economic immigration programs.

What are the eligibility requirements?

  • Job Offer: Candidates must have a genuine and valid job offer. The job offer must be full-time from a Canadian employer.
  • Ability to do the work: Candidates must be able to show that they are able to do the work described in the job description.
  • Language level: Minimum language skill of CLB 5 in English or French must be met.
  • Education: Candidates must have a completed post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year in Canada or the equivalent.

How does the process work?

  • Apply to either the Home Child Care Provider Program or the Home Support Worker Pilot.
  • Submit a work permit application together with the permanent residence application.
  • If the requirements are met, IRCC will issue an occupation-specific work permit.
  • The occupation-specific work permit will allow the candidate to work as a caregiver for any employer. Note that employers do not need to apply for a labour market impact assessment (LMIA) before hiring a caregiver from outside Canada.
  • Once that candidate has accumulated at least 24 months of work experience, proof must be sent to IRCC.
  • IRCC will then issue a final decision on the permanent residence application.

Note that candidates who already have required Canadian work experience have two options. They can:

  • apply to either the Home Child Care Provider Program or the Home Support Worker Pilot, then complete 24 months of experience to get permeant residence, OR
  • keep working in Canada with the current work permit and apply for permanent residence once 24 months of work experience are complete; provided all other requirements are met.

For more information on this program, contact one of our lawyers today.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *