Invest in Canada
Are you a businessperson or manager looking to make an investment in Canada, or to acquire a business in Canada?
If so, there are several options for you to chose from. You can either apply under the federal program, or you can make your business immigration investment through one of the provincial business immigration programs.
Invest in Ontario
With its variety of government programs, tax credits and incentives, that can help you save money and cut costs, Ontario consistently ranks as one of the best places in the world to do business. Its economy is the largest in Canada and the sixth largest in North America.
Companies looking to make an investment in the Province can recruit or relocate up to 25 employees to Canada to ensure the long-term success of the investment. Investments are eligible when they meet the following criteria:
- The investment is at least CAD $3,000,000;
- It must create at least five net permanent, full-time jobs for Canadian citizens or permanent residents located in Ontario. “Net” refers to job created minus jobs lost, if any;
- The investment is endorsed by an Ontario ministry;
- Federal law does not prohibit the investment.
Investment Nominee Positions
For the first nominee position request (first foreign worker), five permanent, full-time jobs must be created for Canadian citizens or permanent residents located in Ontario. For each subsequent nominee position request, one permanent, full-time job must be created for a Canadian citizen or permanent resident located in Ontario. The maximum number of nominee positions, which can be requested, is 25 nominee positions.
The foreign workers must meet the eligibility in the General Category and have at least two years of work experience in the intended occupation. They must also be licensed if working in a regulated occupation.
Eligibility Criteria for Individual Investors
Although the Ontario investor program is primarily aimed towards corporate investments in the province, individual investors seeking nomination can also qualify for the program.
To qualify for a provincial nomination, individual investors must meet all of the following four additional eligibility criteria as required by federal law:
- The investor must be actively involved, on an ongoing basis, in the management of the business;
- Individual investors must control, or will control, at least one-third of the equity in the business, or make a minimum CAD $1,000,000 investment in the business;
- The investor cannot have the option to redeem the investment after a certain period of time;
- The investment of capital in the business cannot be for the primary purpose of deriving interest, dividends or capital gains.
If you are looking for information on other provinces, please contact our office.
A cautionary note
The foregoing provides only an overview and does not constitute legal advice. Readers are cautioned against making any decisions based on this material alone. Rather, specific legal advice should be obtained.